Wednesday, August 4, 2010

LabVIEW 2010? Not quite yet...

I feel sort of bad for picking on National Instruments, after what I've written the past couple months (here or here).  But I'm annoyed and need to vent.

NI released LabVIEW 2010 this week.  I received an email saying that, "for immediate access, download your new software online at the Services Resource Center."  I had a new computer running Windows 7, so I decided to try the 64-bit version of the new software.  The download and install took several hours but appeared to work fine.

Problems occurred, however, when I tried to open one of my projects.  As soon as I opened the top level VI, LabVIEW started requesting subVIs from toolkits that I had a right to have - database toolkit, report generation, etc. - but were not installed with the download.  So I called NI support and they suggested downloading the toolkits individually.

No luck.  NONE of the toolkits are 64-bit (except I think vision), therefore none of them will work with my 64-bit install.  NI is working on it, but it isn't there yet.  When I asked the NI support guy if all the time I spent downloading, installing, and setting up was therefore wasted, he just said, "that is a true statement."

1 comment:

Tyler Pepper said...

So the situation hasn't changed since LV2009. If you use any of the modules and toolkits, with the sole exception of the aforementioned Vision, you are out of luck with the 64-bit version. So, we are left coping with running the 32-bit version on a 64-bit OS. One consolation is that while you may not have access to all the RAM in your new system, LabVIEW 32-bit will have access to more than if you were running a 32-bit OS and maxed out on RAM at 3GB and change, since Windows has a hold over a significant portion of that total amount. Let NI know which toolkits and modules that you would like to use in 64-bit so they can prioritize them. We use the FPGA module heavily.