Thursday, July 15, 2010

Posting from Oregon

I haven’t posted in over a week since I took some vacation time, and then I was hit with a flurry of work that lasted until Saturday afternoon, took a quick break, and is going strong today.  A couple of days ago I was somewhere over west Texas watching electricity light up a thunderhead like a deranged Christmas tree.  So I decided to catch up on my reading.

What follows is a list of four articles from magazines, digests, etc that I subscribe to.  I managed to at least scan each of these and found them at least mildly interesting and at least somewhat related to test engineering.  Some of them are recent, some are over a year or so old.  I sometimes get delayed in my reading, but at least I get around to it.


Why We Need A Theory for Software Engineering
Dr Dobbs, Oct 2009
This is somewhat related to what I wrote a couple years back about software certification.  Plus it gets points for having Ivar Jacobson as an author.


Data Management Speeds Up Simulation of Crash Test Dummy Models
Nasa Tech Briefs June 2010
Crash test dummies are cool, and the idea of simulating those crashes and analyzing that simulated data is perversely cool as well.


The Online Shadow Economy
ZD Net/Messagelabs
This is a white paper, which means it is a piece of marketing with some small amount of redeeming tech value – the actual amount is negotiable.  I don’t know how real the picture painted by the author may be.  But it’s a fascinating one to examine, even if it is touched up with a bit of invisible ink.


Software Tool Integrating Data Flow Diagrams and Petri Nets
Nasa Tech Briefs March 2010
This little article intrigued me on several levels.  First, the tool itself looks like it would be useful for software testing (early in the process).  Second, I had never even heard of Petri Nets before - cool stuff.  And finally, the guy who invented them (at age thirteen no less) died just a couple weeks ago.

No comments: