Thursday, July 30, 2009

New test magazine

Well, I said in my last post that I was going on vacation. But this post was already mostly written, so what the heck.

======================

Keithley is sponsoring a new magazine called Project Test. According to the press release, it is a "unique 32-page electronic magazine edited for test and measurement engineers." In my opinion, the jury is still out. It's obviously meant as a marketing tool - most of the articles in the first issue are written by Keithley employees and spotlight Keithley equipment. I'm not sure if that fits the press release though.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this sort of self-marking document, if it's done right. Hewlett Packard did a good job at this with their Journal this back before the split. The articles were usually written by HP engineers (sometimes in conjunction with marketing), and they often conveyed a great deal of solid technical detail. That is the standard I would hold Keithley to.

No comments: