Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Getting LabVIEW certified

Well, I've decided to get my Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)... certification? diploma? license? Regardless, I plan on shelling out the money and taking the test probably by the end of the year.

A couple of years ago I was ambivalent about certification. But I've modified my opinion for the following reasons. First, NI now offers a CLD renewal test, which was one of my original gripes. Second, the CLD test used to be one long test - half written and half practical - and it seemed like overkill to me. Now the written part is given as a separate test - Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer (CLAD) - and is often offered as a free test. Third, I took the CLAD a couple months back and passed it easily. I figure I'm halfway there already.

Finally, given the state of the economy I think it makes good sense to get recognition for my skills. Another engineer friend of mine just lost his job, and that sort of thing reminds you to be prepared in case you need to find another employer.

===================

Over the next few weeks I'll be taking some extended vacation time. I have at least one or two other posts partially written, but I may not get to them until late August or even September.

No comments: