Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Optimizing LabVIEW

Last month I attended a local NI-sponsored  LabVIEW seminar.  Usually I don't bother with those things.  They are aimed at novice users and are usually frequented by consultants looking for new work.  But our NI rep assured me that this one was aimed for experienced users.  Since they were also serving free lunch, I figured it wouldn't hurt.

It was actually pretty good.  The title was Advanced Performance Optimization in Labview, and the focus was improving programs using memory management.  Because of the unique ways that LV treats data, there are some tricks to speed up your programs.  I mean, if all you want to do is run an instrument and take data, these tips won't help.  But if you're controlling half a dozen instruments and dealing with reams of data, then you probably need all the help you can get.

The presenter was a guy named Brian Powell.  I listed his blog , Open Measurements, as a useful one this past summer.  He obviously knows his work well.

Anyway, I have a PDF of the presentation (including his notes).  If anyone wants it, email me and I'll forward it on to you.

No comments: