Saturday, July 19, 2008

Clearing my mailbox, pt 3: VB6

I subscribe to various magazines online. Yes, the subscriptions are free, and yes most of those articles are written by the marketing arm of a company trying to peddle something. But sometimes you can still find interesting stuff.

One case in point is an article in the June edition of Evaluation Engineering. A marketing person from NI wrote a piece about life after VB6, since Microsoft is ending support for Visual Basic 6 at the end of this year. The question the author addressed was 'what do I need to know to upgrade from VB6 to VB.Net?' And I would say she did a credible job of covering the high points, as well as listing other references for further reading.

Back in 2000-2001 I programmed almost exclusively in VB6, with a smattering of C++ as well. When the time came to consider upgrading to VB.Net, the VP of engineering at my firm decided it was too expensive at the time. A contractor I worked with left after that - he felt that he needed to keep his skills current - and I started thinking about migrating back to LabVIEW. So this article had a personal historical interest for me.

No comments: