Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Vendor books about testing

In the past month I've come across two different manuals about building test systems They are both from big companies in the T&M industry, Keithley and Agilent. They both came out within the past few months. The page count is north of 200 for each book. They both appear to have useful content, in and around the marketing stuff.

That last item is important to me. Sometimes test companies can give you plenty of useful information in books like these - their engineers built the test equipment, and they've done plenty of research on how to use it for testing. But sometimes there's so much marketing fluff that it's hard to separate the useful from the dubious, so I end up ignoring the whole thing.


So, I've decided that I'm going to read through these books and review them. Hopefully I'll learn something, and I might as well pass my opinions of the books to anyone else interested in them. I'll post the first review (probably the Keithley book) next week.

The names of the books (and links to them) are:
Keithley
"Understanding New Developments in Data Acquistion, Measurement, and Control"
http://www.keithley.com/news/prod031407

Agilent
"Test-System Development Guide: A Comprehensive Handbook for Test Engineers"
PDF File
http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5989-5367EN.pdf
Hard copy http://www.home.agilent.com/agilent/editorial.jspx?action=download&cc=US&lc=eng&ckey=1244104&nid=-536900530.0.00&id=1244104&cmpid=20580

No comments: