Friday, June 25, 2010

SQL Options

There is a great article on non-SQL databases in the June issue of  Dr. Dobb's Digest.  It basically surveys the NoSQL movement, something that I quite frankly had no idea existed before I read about it this past weekend: non-relational databases designed to handle terrabytes of data across multiple geographically divers systems.  I'm far from a database expert, but I've dealt with them enough so that I could follow the article.

I'm bringing this up today because it dovetails in with a post I wrote almost a year ago.  The point I was making back then was that, with memory and computing so cheap, large amounts of data and statistics would become an increasingly larger part of a test engineer's job.  The Dr. Dobb's article complements this idea by describing the tools being developed to deal with this data.

No comments: