Thursday, March 11, 2010

Passed the CLD (part 2) - preparations

As I mentioned last week, I recently passed the Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD) exam.  In that post I said that I'd write more about my preparations.  One way I prepared was studying course materials.

There are three courses that NI recommends you take before trying the CLD exam: Core 1, 2 and 3.  In fact, they offer a money back guarantee if you don't pass.  That's a good thing, since the price just for Core 3 is ~$2k.

Note: the courses used to be named LabVIEW Basics (I and II) and LabVIEW Intermediate (I and II).  They were renamed last year to "better align with NI certification program."  Sounds like marketing to me.

Anyway, I said that I studied the course booklets.  I didn't actually take the courses.  Well, I did take a LV basics course, but that was back in 1997.  I borrowed a copy of the Intermediate course books from friends, along with the CDs, and worked through them on my own time.  Most of it was review, but I picked up a few tidbits while studying.  Furthermore, that work helped me focus in on LV in a way that my normal job couldn't.

Alternative: If you want to take the classes but can't afford it (or your company won't pay for it), and you can't get a copy of the books from a friend, then try searching online.  I suspect that somewhere out there someone has published the contents of the courses.  Not that I'm condoning that, since I'm unsure of the legalities.  But it is an option.

===============
I think I'll make three more posts on this subject.  Two of them on preparations for the test, and the third on the test experience itself.

No comments: